Here’s one thing that bothers me on blogs (including yours, sorry) – I cannot stand it when hyperlinks do not open a new window. For example, I clicked on one of the links in this post. That page had a link I wanted to check out and so I clicked on it. Before I knew it I had gone off the beaten path and accidentally closed the window thinking your post was in another window. Then I had a hard time finding you and this post again.
Curt made this comment on Monday. This made me think a lot. Should links open in same tabs or new tabs/windows?
I have thought about making a final decision but hey, can I make a decision myself only?
A large part of this blog is YOU! The reader.
So, why not you make the decision?
My take on the issue.
For: Links Should Open In New Tabs
Here are some reasons that make me think that new tabs approach is good:
- It Retains Readers: Just like Curt got lost, many others can too. Opening links in same tab can cause this problem. New tabs mean that people do not get lost when surfing.
- It Reduces Bounce Rate: When visitors does not go away, he never "bounces"! So, the bounce rate is reduced a lot this way.
Ok, I am thinking. I am thinking. I am still thinking.
No more points?
Well, that's natural because I do not generally favor links opening in new window.
Against: Links Should Never Open In New Tabs
Now, I am sure I can fill pages on this topic. But let's keep it simple! Here are my thoughts:
- Gives User Control: Since you are using the blog, you should have control over how you navigate it. Right? If links open in same tab by default, this keep users belonging to "open links in same tab" as well as "open links in new tab" camps happy. How? First camp automatically gets what it wants. And second camp can easily right click and select "Open In New Tab" or Ctrl + click the link.
- Reduces Clutter: It's not that I am going to start a clutter management blog or business anytime soon but I hate clutter, specially with software. Too many tabs make working difficult and I am sure many would have same opinion. Opening new tab after new tab for every new links reader clicks might not be good in this sense.
- There's A Back Button: Back button is the most frequently used button in browsers. If you have good content, reader will come back. Just take Curt's example. He said he had trouble finding BWS but he did come back. (Looks like my posts are developing some kind of magnetic field! )
Final Decision Is Yours
As I said, readers are most important. So, tell me:
- Should Blogging With Success and other blogs open links in new tabs?
Thanks for taking time to read the post. Do not forget to share!