Who told you that blogging is a slave like job where you have to constantly feed great content to your readers?(If nobody did before, I just did!)
You are not a slave and readers are not monsters who will eat great posts after great posts and will get angry at you if requirements are not met strictly.
You are a human! And most importantly, your readers are human. So be assured, thy won't eat you alive anytime soon.
The point is that you need rest. Your mind needs rest.
And best way to rest is to take a blogging break.
And to convince you, here are some reasons to take holidays:
- Holidays Are Refreshing: Staying away from something for a limited time is like hitting "Refresh" button for your mind and body. Ask me, who had to almost stop blogging for 2-3 months due to bad connections and college assignments. However, when I returned to blogging, I found myself energized and refreshed and started writing posts like a robot. My book "50 Blogging Secrets Learned From Masters" was written in 9 hours. And do you know what was interesting about those 9 hours? They were continuous. No breaks taken! I was able to pull it off because I have had lot of "blogging rest" during October-November.
- Holidays Are Better With Family: Nothing is like spending quality time with family. But blogging can ruin it. Imagine writing a post when all others want to go out shopping! Something will suffer and if this something is shopping, that is bad! (Maybe I just said this because I am avid shopper. Thanks to Shirley for holding me off from buying every latest theme and plugin)
- Who Will Read Your Blog In Holidays?: OK, so people will stay home in holidays and will rush to read your blog? No! They will be busy with other things and since holiday season is a bit fast with lot of celebrations and travelling involved, people won't pay much attention to online things!
How To Tell Readers About Your Blogging Break
OK, so you have decided to take a break? But you need to tell readers about it so that a few stay online don't miss you! Here are some good ways to tell them about your blogging break:
- Announcement Post: This is simplest way and works well. Write a personal post for readers wishing them great holidays and tell that you will not be around!
- A Holiday Present: We all love presents! So do your readers! How about offering them something for free as a present. It can be a book or anything similar. P.S. This is what I did with "50 Blogging Secrets Learned From Masters". My friend Elise went even further and posted an Ode To Consumerism and 3 gifts for her readers. Check out An Ode To Consumerism Plus Free Giftz. Between,if you drop by her blog, do not forget to brag a bit about 50 Blogging Secrets book!
- A Related Post: OK, let's assume that Blogging With Success is a blog about dog training and not Blogging Tips(should we call it "Dogging With Success" then?). Anyway, it would be better for us to take a break with a post saying "How To Take Care of Your Dog These Holidays" and a small notice with that instead of a simple post saying "We Are Taking A Break". Do something that relates to your niche that relates to holidays and in the end, tell the readers about break. Now, you know that......
We Are Taking A Break!
We are taking a short break in these holidays.
After this, we will publish next post on January 3, 2011.
Enjoy your holidays, take a break from blogging and meet again in next year!
Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!
P.S. I have birthday on Dec 31. So do not forget to wish and send me a present(bigger ones preferred! And if they are by Apple, absolutely preferred!)