Internet is like a busy neighbourhood where everyone is trying to make everyone else listen without listening to them! The result is a very noisy place.
A place where no one wants to listen to others.
And only way to get listened to in this place is first to listen to others.
Problem is that only a few people do that!
Recently, I read an awesome post by Marc Ensign: Me, Me, Me, I, I, I.
The post was on the spot and got me thinking. Do bloggers really care about audience or are we all just numbers for each other?
The Real Problem
The problem, are Marc highlighted was that we are used to treat others as numbers.
Just think, if you get 1000 unique visitors to your next blog post, you will think this:
Great, I got 1000 unique visits, time to increase the numbers now!
What you should be thinking is this:
Great, I got 1000 people to read my post! That's awesome.
1000 is not a number. They are 1000 real people!
In real life, if you had 1000 people listening to you, you'd have been flying!
How To Fix It?
There is a really simple solution:
Find who they are, what they do, care about them!
And how to do that?
Here are some tips:
- Friend Them On Facebook: Get to know them, chat with them. If you are considered about your personal data, make a separate list for them.
- Visit Their Blog: Visit their blog and get to know them. Read their about page. Comment on their posts.
- Email Them: Once in a while, send a personal mail to your readers asking them about their problems and thanking them.
- Ask Them To Introduce Themselves: Ask your readers to introduce themselves in comments. Have a discussion!
There are many other ways. But start with these and soon, you will have readers who pay attention to you! And while we are discussing about knowing readers.......
I want to know about you. Go on, tell me about yourself in comments.
- Who are you?
- What do you blog about?
- What do you do apart from bloggging?
About Me: You already know about me, don't you?
I am Ishan, a college student from India who loves blogging and WordPress. I blog here on Blogging With Success and on my personal blog, Ishan Sharma.
I spend my time reading books and other blogs, playing games and sleeping.
Your turn, who are you?